The Girl Not So Next
Door
Chapter 1
It was early spring, 2013, and Sam and Dean had made their
way across the country to western Massachusetts, where something was leaving
bodies in its wake. Bodies without hearts, that is. They assumed it was a werewolf
based on the patterns and information they gathered from local law enforcement,
friends, and witnesses.
They were not exactly running on all cylinders, however. Sam
had undertaken the trials in their effort to close the gates of hell, and was
feeling lousy. He was exhausted and weak, and no amount of rest seemed to help.
He was also having a hard time keeping anything down. He should have stayed
back at the bunker and at least tried to rest, but he insisted on heading out
on the hunt with Dean.
In truth, Sam wanted
to stay home and rest, but at the same time it was important to him to prove
himself to Dean. He needed to prove that he could see the trials through, and
that he didn’t need to be rescued or taken care of all the time by his big
brother. He needed to prove he could be counted on to get the job done.
The boys have always had a complicated relationship. Dean
truly believed his little brother could do this. He knew he would see it
through, and that Sam was tough as nails. Dean saw his determination and had no
doubts or illusions.
Still, after years of feeling as if he had always walked in
Dean’s shadow, Sam felt the need to push on to, and beyond, his limit. Illness,
or any physical risk to himself, was not important.
They had been in Ohio wrapping up the clean-out of a vampire
nest when they caught wind of the story about victims in Massachusetts. As
usual, the cops were saying animal attacks, because what else could they say. The story was extremely
fishy to begin with, but add to that the fact that the largest animal in those
parts is the black bear, and it was clear that it was their kind of thing.
Black bears just aren’t that big, and they don’t usually go around snacking on
people.
They had been in town for a couple of days, and finally thought
they had a line on the werewolf they were looking for. Earlier that day, Dean
had insisted Sam stay back at the motel and get some rest while he went and
talked to the cops. He would need Sam to be rested so he would have reliable
backup when it came to the actual hunt. Sam agreed, somewhat begrudgingly, but
he knew Dean was right about this. He would need to be well enough to keep his
brother alive, if necessary.
As evening fell, Dean called Sam as he drove back to the
motel and filled him in on what he knew. When he arrived, with dinner and
coffee, he found a fairly well rested Sam. They ate, checked their weapons, and
headed out to the spot where the victims had been disappearing from.
The area was wooded and rural, but it wasn’t far from town.
It was part of the state park and had trails for hiking and running. The
running trails were well lit, for the most part, but there were still plenty of
places for someone, or something, to lay in wait.
People living in this part of the state had little cause to
worry about being out for a walk or run after dark. The area was exceptionally
safe as far as violent crime was concerned. Unfortunately, most people aren’t
aware of the other possibilities. Monsters lurking in the dark, for one thing.
So, if a person worked all day, wanted to go out for a run, and had not been
paying attention to the news reports, they might end up in the wrong place at
the wrong time.
The boys were walking the trail when they heard the screams
off in the distance. There was no doubt that it was a woman, like all the other
victims. The boys took off in the direction of the cries for help and soon
realized, by the sound of it, she was running night toward them.
She didn’t see Sam and Dean in her path because she was
looking over her shoulder as she ran. Dean grabbed her around the waist as she
ran by and pulled her to safety. Of course, she didn’t know she was safe, for
all she knew he was just another attacker, so she put up a hell of a fight. She
was flailing in his arms and screaming while throwing punches and elbows
wherever she could land them.
Despite her struggling, Dean was able to hold
onto her. She was petite, and barely an armful.
She didn’t realize they were the good guys until a moment
later. As the werewolf rounded the corner toward them, Sam took him out easily
with a couple of silver bullets to the heart. As far as hunts went, this one
was one of the simplest they’d seen in a long time.
Dean let go of the woman and she collapsed onto the ground
in a heap, out of breath, and crying.
He crouched down beside her, placed his hand on her back,
and asked, “Are you OK? What’s your name?”
The woman looked up at him, still not able to catch her
breath, “I think I’m OK… I’m Brie.”
“OK, come on. Can you sit up,” Dean asked, guiding her by
the arm.
They were right at a point in the path where there was a
street lamp, so as Brie looked up she got a good look at Dean’s face.
“Oh, wow, did I do that?” she asked
Dean had a bloody nose and was sure that a black eye would
come shining through later as well.
“Yeah, well, don’t worry about that. I’ve had worse,” Dean
said.
“Who are you guys, and what was that… thing?” Brie asked.
“We’ll tell you all about it later, but right now, let’s get
you someplace safe,” Sam said, still on alert, with his gun drawn.
“OK,” she replied, as Dean helped her to her feet.
“I’m Dean, and this is my brother Sam, by the way,” he said,
as they walked the path back to the car. “I want you to wait in my car while we
finish up here, OK?”
“Yeah, OK,” she replied, sounding and looking like she was
in shock.
Dean was guiding her by the arm, and she was still shaking
uncontrollably, as he opened the door to the backseat and she climbed in.
“We’ll be back in about a half hour. Just lock the doors and
stay in the car,” Dean said.
“Where are you going? What do you have to do?” she asked,
panic in her eyes, as she grabbed Dean’s arm.
“We have to bury that thing and then we’ll take you home,”
Dean said.
“Shouldn’t we call the cops?” she asked, looking from Dean
to Sam.
“No, trust us, we definitely do not want to call the cops,” Sam replied.
“We’ll tell you why when we get back. Just hang tight,” Dean
said, as he closed the car door.
They grabbed their shovels from the trunk, and as they
walked away, Brie reached around the car and locked all the doors. Her heart
was still pounding out of her chest as she watched the boys walk back down the
path. She lay down on the back seat, wanting to hide, and not feeling convinced
that whoever, or whatever that was chasing her, was alone.
Her mind raced as the minutes ticked away. She wanted to run
to her car and just get the hell out of there. I mean, who are these guys? She thought. For all she knew, they
were killers too. Her mind went there, but her heart told her they were the
good guys, so she stayed put.
The boys soon returned, and as they packed the shovels away
in the trunk, Brie unlocked the door and stepped out of the car.
“You OK?” Dean asked.
“Yeah,” she replied.
It was a lie, but she was trying to hold it together.
“OK, good. Do you have a car nearby?” Dean asked.
“Yeah, it’s at the other entrance to the running path on the
other side of the park,” she replied.
“OK, Sam, I’m going to take her home. You head back to the
motel and get some sleep,” Dean said.
Sam drove the Impala over to where Brie’s car was parked,
dropped the two of them off, then headed for the motel.
“I’ll drive. You’re still pretty shaken up,” Dean said. “Do
you have a key?” he asked, looking her up and down and thinking the answer must
be no. Where would she keep it in a running outfit with no pockets.
“Yeah,” she replied, reaching into her bra for the car key.
Dean let out a chuckle. “Good thinking.”
“Well, no pockets, so… but I did manage to lose my phone.”
Dean drove Brie’s car, as she directed him to her house. It
wasn’t far. It was a modest ranch house on a dead-end street just outside of
the downtown area.
“How are you going
to get home?” she asked him, as they pulled in the driveway.
“Well, we don’t live around here, but I’ll get back to the
motel just fine, don’t worry. Do you live here alone?” Dean asked, as he walker
her to her door.
“Yes,” she replied, as they reached the back door. “Will you
come in for a few minutes? You said you would tell me what that… thing was.”
“Yeah, sure,” Dean replied as she turned the door knob,
pushed the door open, and walked in. “Wait, you don’t lock your door?” he
asked, realizing she had not used a key.
“No, it’s really safe around…” she started to say, realizing
it was not nearly as safe as she had thought. The park where she was running
was less than two miles from her house.
“Yeah, we need to talk about that,” Dean said, taking a seat
at her kitchen table.
“Well, I need a drink,” she said. “Can I get you anything?”
she asked, as she grabbed a bottle of whiskey from the cabinet.
“Yeah, that works,” he replied, pointing at the bottle.
She poured them each what amounted to a triple and went to
the freezer.
“Here,” she said, handing him an ice pack and a kitchen
towel to wrap around it. “Sorry about the elbows to the face,” she said, sitting
at the table, and downing half the contents of her glass.
“It’s OK,” Dean replied, with a warm smile.
Dean spent the next few hours explaining the werewolf, along
with other monsters. He also talked about he and Sam, and what it means to be a
hunter in their world. She was in shock, but seemed to be taking it as well as
anyone could. Had it not been for the fact that she was nearly killed by a
monster just hours ago, she would have thought it was crazy.
She was sitting in a ball on her chair, her knees tucked up
against her chest, and her arms wrapped around them. By the look on her face,
Dean could tell she was scared to death. He checked all the doors and windows
in the house to be sure everything was secure, then proceeded to lecture Brie,
gently, about keeping the house locked down.
Back in the kitchen, Dean said, “You’re secure here. Just remember
what I told you about keeping this place locked up, OK? I’m gonna get going
back to the motel.”
Brie jumped up out of her chair and grabbed him by the arm,
saying, “No, please don’t leave.”
It was not like her to be clingy, but she was scared to
death. After spending a few hours with Dean, she was feeling comfortable with
him. She trusted him. After all, he had just saved her life.
“Do you have anyone that can stay with you, or anywhere you
can go for the night?” Dean asked.
“Not really, and what would I tell them if I did? That I
need to spend the night because I’m scared of monsters?” she asked, as she
began to cry softly.
“Good point. Come here,” he said, pulling her into a tight
hug.
The embrace had the opposite effect of what it was meant to,
as she covered her face with her hands and began to sob.
As Dean held her tighter, her knees suddenly buckled. Had he
not been holding her she would have gone down. Dean scooped her up, carried her
to the couch in the living room, and set her down gently. There was a blanket
folded over the arm of the sofa. He sat beside her and pulled the blanket over her.
Brie scurried over to Dean and buried her face in his chest
as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders. She didn’t hesitate, and for split
second the thought, what are you doing?
You don’t even know this guy, flashed through her head. A second later she
decided it didn’t matter. She needed to be comforted, and as far as she was
concerned, he was the hero that saved her. Her hero.
After a few minutes she had stopped crying, but she was
still shaking.
“When was the last time you ate anything?” Dean asked.
“I don’t know. Lunch, I guess,” she replied.
“And then you ran, and had the scare of your life. We need
to get you something to eat.” Dean said, standing up. She was still holding on
to his arm with both hands. “I’ll be right in the kitchen. You do have food in
this place, right?”
“Yeah,” she said with a faint smile, as she released his
arm.
As Dean put a sandwich together for her in the kitchen, her
mind raced. It ran from, what just
happened, and what has my life become, to, why am I so attracted to this man that I just met, and who hunts monsters?
Dean soon returned with a turkey sandwich and a glass of
water for her.
“Thank you,” she said, as she looked up at him with a faint
smile.
It wasn’t anything fancy, but she was hungry, and it was
just enough.
He sat back down beside her and said, “Listen, I—”
He was about to say he really should get going, but she cut
him off, saying, “Will you please stay with me tonight?”
“Yeah… sure,” he replied. “Just let me call Sam.”
Dean stepped back into the kitchen and dialed Sam’s number.
“Hey, Sammy, how are you feeling?” he asked.
“I’m fine, Dean. I’m heading to bed. Where are you? Do I
need to come and pick you up?” Sam asked.
“No, I’m good. I going to spend the night here at Brie’s.
She’s still pretty shaken up.”
“Yeah, I’m sure,” Sam replied.
“No, Sam, seriously. She’s really panicked, and she doesn’t
have anyone who can stay with her.”
“OK, then I guess I’ll see you tomorrow,” Sam replied.
“Yeah, I’ll call you in the morning,” Dean said, and then
hung up.
Dean returned to the living room and looked down at Brie,
giving her a warm smile.
“Thank you,” she said, in a whisper.
“It’s no problem. Come on,” Dean replied, sitting down again
and wrapping an arm around her.
It was the strangest feeling. She never felt safer, or more vulnerable
than she did in that moment. The only thing that was certain, was how tired she
was. In just minutes she was asleep.
Between the exhaustion and the whiskey, she was out cold.
Dean carefully slid out from under her and picked her up, carrying her to her
bedroom just up the short hallway. He flipped the light switch with his elbow,
then crossed the room and laid her gently on the bed. He carefully removed her
running shoes, then pulled a blanket over her, turned off the light, and headed
back to the living room.
Chapter 2
In the morning, Dean woke to the sound of Brie moving around
in the kitchen and got up to check on her.
“Hey, how are you feeling?” he asked her.
“Better, I think,” she replied, with a smile. “Let me make
you some breakfast. Are eggs OK?” she asked, reaching into the fridge.
“Um, yeah, but you don’t have to do that. I really should
get going,” he replied.
She slowly closed the refrigerator door and took a deep
breath before saying, “Dean, can I tell you something? It’s kind of
embarrassing.”
“Yeah, sure,” Dean replied.
He had no idea what this could be, but took a seat at the
table.
Still not looking at him, she said, “I don’t know if it’s
the werewolf, or what, but, um… I really like you Dean, and since I’ll probably
never see you again, I just figured I would tell you. I mean, what’s the harm,
right? Accept, you know… if I didn’t take a chance then I would never know…”
she said, babbling nervously, and letting her voice trail off.
Dean stood up and walked across the kitchen. He placed his
hands on her shoulders, turned her toward him, and pulled her into a warm and
comforting embrace.
“I really like you too, Brie,” he said, rubbing her back.
She took a deep breath and let herself relax into his arms.
They just stood there for a few moments.
Finally, Brie asked, “Are you sure you have to go so soon?”
“I’m not on a strict schedule,” he replied, as he took a
step back to look into her eyes with a wide smile.
“Oh my God, your eye,” she said with a gasp.
“What? Is it that bad?”
“Come on,” she said, pulling him by the hand to the bathroom
mirror.
“Oh, yeah, that’s a good one,” he said, poking at the dark
bruise under his eye, as he examined it in the mirror.
“I am so sorry,” she said
Dean just laughed, and replied, “Nah, this is nothing. Don’t
worry about it.”
“All right. If you say so,” she replied, not fully convinced
that it wasn’t a big deal. “Come on, let me make you some breakfast.”
After they ate, Dean took a shower, and when he was finished,
he found Brie just standing and looking out the kitchen window into the woods
behind her house. He knew what she was thinking. She was petrified to ever
leave the house again. He’d seen it before.
“You’re gonna be OK, you know,” he said, putting an arm
around her shoulder.
She laid her head against his chest, and replied in a
whisper, “I’m so scared.”
“I know, but listen, I don’t have anywhere to be today, so
if you want, I can stick around and teach you a little about how to protect
yourself, and how to be on the lookout for this crazy crap, OK?”
“OK, that sounds good.”
“Good. The first thing we need to do is get you out of this
house, so why don’t you get cleaned up, or do whatever you need to do, and then
we’ll go,” Dean said.
“I don’t know…” she replied, shaking her head, and pulling
away.
“Yes, we’re doing it. You have to trust me on this. The
longer you stay in this house, the harder it’ll be for you to leave.”
Brie showered, and within the hour they were walking out the
back door. They spent some time just walking her property and talking. Dean
reassured her, as much as he could, that the chances of another monster encounter
were slim to none. She shouldn’t worry, but she should be more careful. Running
in the park at night was unsafe, to say the least.
Dean insisted they go back to the park so she could see that
it was safe. He drove them there in her car, and as they walked the short path
from the car to a clearing with a playground and some benches, she took is hand.
They sat on a bench by the children’s slide. Brie was
nervous and fidgety. Dean put his arm around her and held her tight while they
talked. He said all the right things to reassure her, and slowly, he could feel
her beginning to relax. He cracked a couple of bad jokes, and she even laughed
a little. They sat there for a couple hours just talking and holding hands as
Dean told her everything he could think of to make her feel safe, prepared, and
reassured.
Finally, in the early afternoon, Dean said, “Come on, I’m
hungry. Let me buy you some lunch, and then I’ll take you home.”
Brie directed him to the bakery downtown, that happened to
also serve lunch. They sat and had some delicious sandwiches and, of course,
Dean had a slice of pie after.
Back at Brie’s, Dean realized he had neglected to call Sam,
so he sent him a text asking him if he was OK, and letting him know he would
call him later. Sam responded with, “I’m fine. Talk to you later.”
Dean had a few weapons with him and insisted on giving her
one of his silver knives. She wasn’t sure she could use it if it came down to
it, but it made her feel better to at least have it.
They sat and talked on the sofa for a while. She was getting
a real education in monsters and how to kill them, but in some strange way it
was comforting.
It was now after seven, and Brie was a little surprised Dean
was still with her, but was sure he would say he had to leave at any moment.
They were cuddled up on the couch together watching the
news, another thing Dean insisted she do. It was important that she knew what
was going on in her area. Brie looked up at Dean, and just watched him for a
few moments before he looked down at her. She looked deep into his eyes and
smiled just a little as she gave his chest a rub. Dean slowly closed the
distance between them, then finally pressed his lips to hers. It was as soft
and gentle as she had imaged it would be. She caressed his cheek as he wrapped
his arms around her and pulled her in close.
Dean pulled away first and smiled down at her.
“Hi,” he said.
She smiled up at him and replied, “Hi,” with a chuckle. “I’m
hungry. If I order us a pizza, will you stay for dinner?” she asked.
“Yeah, that sounds great. I’m just going to step outside and
call Sam to let him know.”
As Dean headed out the back door, Brie called in their pizza
order. She couldn’t believe that she was actually feeling less apprehensive.
Just 24 hours ago, she thought she would never feel safe again, but after
spending the day with Dean, and letting him teach her a few things, she was
starting to feel like everything would be OK. She was also feeling like she was
falling head over heels for him, but imagined he got that a lot.
Once outside, Dean pulled his phone out and dialed Sam’s
number.
“Dean, where the hell are you?” Sam asked, without saying
hello.
Dean explained that Brie had been in rough shape, but he had
spent the day with her talking, and getting her back to the park, and she was
doing better.
“Listen, Sammy, we’re going to have some dinner and then I
don’t know… I may not be coming back to the motel tonight. We’ll see. Just grab
something to eat and get some rest and I’ll see you tomorrow.”
Sam let out a sigh that Dean could hear even over the phone,
and said, “OK, Dean. I’ll see you tomorrow.”
This wasn’t the first time Dean had spent a day or two with
a woman they saved.
They ate their pizza in the living room while watching a
movie. After, they sat on the couch and couldn’t keep their hands off one
another. They kissed passionately, and until they were both breathless.
Finally, Brie pulled away slightly and asked in a whisper,
“Will you stay? Will you spend the night with me?”
“Yeah, I’d love to,” Dean replied, before resuming their
kiss.
Brie crawled up onto Dean’s lap and before she knew it, he
was carrying her to the bedroom. They spent an amazing night making love until
they were both exhausted. As the first hints of sunlight seeped through the
curtains in the morning, they woke up still wrapped in each other’s arms.
Brie looked up at Dean, and he smiled down at her and asked,
“How are you feeling this morning, beautiful?”
“I feel amazing,” she replied.
“Good. Me too,” Dean replied. “But listen, I really need to
get going. Me and Sam, we have a lot going on right now, and we need to get
back to work.”
“I understand,” she said, looking away.
“I really like you, Brie,” Dean continued. “I can’t say when
we might be back this way, but I’d like to see you again, if I can.”
Brie looked up at him, smiled, and replied, “Really?”
“Yeah, really,” he replied, leaning in for a kiss.
They got up and had some breakfast, after which Dean called
Sam. He gave him Brie’s address and told him he could come and pick him up
whenever he was ready, and they would head home.
About a half hour later, they heard Baby roll into the
driveway.
“I’ll call you in a few days and see how you’re doing,” Dean
said, as he pulled her into his arms. “You have my number, so if you need me,
just call. I’ll be back as soon as I can.”
She nodded and smiled up at him, tears welling up in her
eyes.
“You’re gonna be fine,” he said, taking her face in his
hands and kissing her gently. He pulled away, and said, “OK, I gotta go,”
kissed her once more, then turned and left. A moment later she heard the Impala
pull away.
She was sad to see him go, and that first day was rough, but
he had left her with the information she needed to help her feel safe. He had
also left her feeling as though she was falling in love with him. She figured
she would probably never see him again, and tried to go about her life, but
true to his word, a few days later, he called.
“How have you been? How are you feeling?” he asked her.
“I’m good. I think I’m doing OK,” she replied, through a smile
he could hear over the phone.
“Good,” he replied. “And, um… I hope I can see you again. I,
um… I miss you already.”
Dean was choking on those words a bit, but he meant every
one of them. He wasn’t sure what it was about this particular woman, but he sincerely
wanted to spend more time with her.
“Wow, I kind of thought I might never hear from you again,
to be honest, but I want to see you again too. You’re welcome here any time you
want to stop by, Dean. I miss you already, too.”
“OK, I’ll call you soon,” Dean replied.
If there was any doubt as to whether or not she was falling
in love with him, that one short phone call ended the uncertainty. Still, she
knew, she could only hope to see him
again.
Chapter 3
Over the years, Brie had been able to set aside the memory
of how she and Dean met. The feeling of being more frightened than she had ever
been in her life, had long since been replaced with the warmth of having been
saved by Dean Winchester. Her very own hero.
Their first meeting had been extraordinary, and the days
that followed were both intense and fanciful, in a way. Intense in the kind of
monster, and self-preservation knowledge Dean instilled in her. Fanciful in the
private, thoughtful times they spent together. Maybe some women can have a casual,
one-time encounter with Dean Winchester and simply brush it off and move on
like everything is normal, but some can’t.
Brie was in the second group. Five and a half years had
passed since their full on, hunter rolls
into town, saves the girl, and the girl is grateful, meeting. From their
first encounter, Brie silently hoped for more. To her, he was a real-life hero.
Her hero. He was pretty easy on the eyes, too.
Dean thought it was going to be just another one-night
stand, but after spending two and half days with her, and getting to know her a
little, he couldn’t bring himself to simply walk away. He was inexplicably
drawn to her. It had been years since he had legitimately wanted to spend more
than one night with a woman. She lived about as far away from the bunker as she
could get, but usually if Dean wanted something, he could make it happen.
As time went by, the two of them had gotten together
whenever Dean was in town, or at least near town. They’d spend a night or two
together, and even play a little at being domestic at her place. Dean could
relax there. It was the stability he secretly craved. At Brie’s he could kick
off his boots and just exist. Have a few home cooked meals and allow himself to
be taken care of for a brief time. She even insisted on doing his laundry
before letting him hit the road again.
No one in Brie’s circle knew about Dean and his periodic
visits. It was her secret. Something she didn’t even share with her closest friends.
He only stopped by a few times a year, but after meeting Dean she never really
felt like dating anyone else. She loved him. She just never told him.
In truth, she never dated anyone else because she had found
the one she wanted. She never told him because she knew the love thing wasn’t
really Dean’s cup of tea. She knew she couldn’t have him, really, and she
thought to tell him she loved him would push him away. She had resigned herself
to taking what she could get, and if a few days of happiness a year was what he
was offering, she would take it. She hadn’t put any strings on their
relationship, and he hadn’t made any commitments to her. She was as content as
she could be with that.
Dean, for his part, liked the small amount of stability he
gleaned from his relationship with Brie. Over the years he had come to feel
like he was going home, in a way, when he visited her. He hadn’t told anyone
about her. Not even Sam. Sam knew they had spent a couple of nights together
after the boys saved her from that werewolf, but he had no idea Dean had been
visiting her on a regular basis for years. Her place afforded him a time to
relax and catch his breath. There were no expectations put on him there.
Over the years they would talk occasionally by phone. She usually
waited for him to call her. Brie knew that if she called him too often, she
would want to talk to him every day, and thought that kind of neediness might
not go over well with Dean. He would call sometimes after a hunt if he got his
ass kicked, or on a bad day when he needed someone to lift his spirits. She was
good at taking his mind off his troubles. He would find a quiet place to call
and they would talk for a few minutes every now and then. Just long enough for
her to give him a little encouragement. Even just a little small talk would do
the trick sometimes. He had never told her, but really, he just wanted to hear
a friendly voice that did not belong to his brother.
He would also call when he was on his way to town to try and
see her. Well, most of the time, anyway. Her heart would pound out of her chest
when he told her he was heading her way. Yes, she loved him. More than that,
she was in love with him. She sensed
in her heart that he felt the same way, but she remained silent. If he did love
her, maybe he would say it someday, or maybe he wouldn’t. This did not change
her feelings or her desire to be a part of Dean’s life in whatever way he would
have her.
It was late Friday afternoon in early October some five and
a half years after their first meeting when Brie received a text from Dean. It
read, “Two hours away. Can I stop by?”
She responded, “Of course!”
She knew he must be feeling down on himself. She didn’t see
him often but had known him for years. She knew his moods and patterns. The
only time he asked if he could come
by was when he was in a dark place, or having doubts about himself. Usually he
would just say he was coming, or simply show up in her kitchen. A few times she
had found him sleeping on her couch when she got home from work.
The first time he turned up to visit, it was a complete surprise.
It was summertime, just a few months after they met. She was coming home from
work, and when she turned onto her street, there was Baby parked in front of
her house. She found Dean laid out across the front seat, fast asleep.
It was during that visit that she gave him a key. She wanted
him to be able to just show up if he wanted to, but he had told her to keep her
doors locked, so he couldn’t just let himself in. He could pick the lock, of
course, but she had neighbors, and it wasn’t worth the risk of getting caught
if he could just wait for her to get home.
Two hours, she
thought. She grabbed her car keys and headed out. It was nice to have a little
advance notice to run out and grab a few things. Usually she would have to do
that after he arrived, and she always hated to leave. They had such a limited
amount of time to spend together. Using that time for shopping was not time well spent.
The liquor store was her first stop. She didn’t usually keep
beer in the house since she didn’t drink it.
Sweeter drinks, martinis, or the occasional shot of vodka or whiskey
were more her thing. Dean, however loved his beer, and it always made her happy
to see him kick his feet up in front of the TV or fireplace with his favorite
brew.
The bakery was her second stop. If Dean was feeling down,
pie would be a necessity. She picked up a cherry pie as well as a banana cream.
She had food in the house, but not necessarily food Dean
would be enthusiastic about, so she hit the grocery store next. She picked up
steaks, burgers, potatoes, and French fries, along with meat for sandwiches,
pancake mix, assorted salty and sweet snacks, breakfast sausage, and a couple
pounds or bacon. That should hold him,
she thought with a smile.
She headed back home and just as she finished putting
everything away, she heard it. The familiar purr of Baby rolling into the
driveway. A moment later he was walking through her back door into the kitchen.
She turned and smiled as they took a couple steps toward
each other. She reached up to touch his face with a concerned look. He’d taken
a beating from someone or something. He had a bruise over his left eye as well
as a cut and swollen lower lip. He was almost always banged up when he arrived,
and she never got used to it completely. He had a warmth for her in his eyes,
but he looked bone-weary and burdened.
Without a word, he pulled her into his arms and hugged her
tight. He buried his face in her neck as she rubbed his back with one hand and
cradled his head with the other. She knew something was weighing on him. She
could tell, even without him speaking. She could tell he was feeling unusually
emotional.
“Shh, you’re here now, sweetie. It’s OK,” Brie said.
Dean took a deep breath and then a step back.
With a smile he said, “Hi.”
Brie’s face lit up as she replied, “Hi,” with a bit of a
chuckle.
This greeting had become their own little tradition over the
years.
He took her face in his hands and leaned down for a sensuous
and comforting kiss, then whispered, eyes still closed, “I’ve missed you.”
“Yeah?” she asked excitedly.
“Yeah,” he replied with a smile, then resumed their kiss.
After a moment Brie pulled away and asked, “Are you hungry?”
“Starving. I haven’t eaten since this morning” he replied.
“OK, I’ve got a fridge full of food, or I can order us a
pizza. Your choice.”
“Oh, pizza, for sure.”
“You got it,” she replied, grabbing the phone.
She was not surprised. Dean loved her to cook for him, but
the local pizza joint made the best pizza either of them had ever had. They
ordered a pizza nearly every time Dean visited.
She called in an order while Dean hugged her from behind and
kissed her neck. Two pizzas would be way too much for them, but she figured she
would send him off with the leftovers when he headed back out.
Brie grabbed Dean a beer from the fridge, as well as a bag
of chips to tide him over, and they went and sat in the living room together.
She turned on the radio and tuned it to the classic rock station, set the
volume low, and went and sat on the couch next to Dean.
“How have you been?” he asked, before taking a long sip from
his bottle.
“I’ve been fine, Dean, like always. I’m more interested in
you right now. So… do you want to talk about it?”
“Talk about what?”
“Whatever it is that’s bothering you,” she said, reaching
for his hand.
“Why do you think something’s bother me?
“Dean,” she said, giving him a look that said, come on, really?
“Maybe later,” Dean finally replied. “Right now, I want to
talk about you and just sit and relax,” he said kicking off his boots and
putting his feet up on the table. He extended his left arm to her, motioning
for her to scoot over. As she did, he put his arm around her, and she laid her
head against his chest.
She wouldn’t push him for the information. He was stubborn
and would talk when and if he was ready, and not a moment sooner. Instead, she
rubbed his chest and said, “I’ve missed you so much, Dean. I’m glad you’re
here.”
“Me too, baby. Tell me what you’ve been up to.”
Brie proceeded to tell him that nothing much had changed.
She had taken a promotion at work, but other than that it was same old, same
old. She talked about dinners with friends, a late-summer family get together
in Connecticut, buying a new car, and all the other seemingly boring things she
had done since their last visit.
After she finished, Dean asked, “So, have you been seeing
anyone?”
This question really surprised her. He had never asked her
that before. She was free to see other people, really. Dean hadn’t made any
kind of commitment to her, and he had no illusions about their relationship.
Still, he realized a long time ago that he had come to rely on her always just
being there.
“No,” she replied as she smiled up at him and craned her
neck for a kiss.
She knew better than to ask Dean if he had been seeing
anyone. She knew he saw other women, but she really didn’t want to hear him say
it. She wasn’t naive. She knew Dean liked women… a lot, and since it had been
over three months since she had last seen him, she knew he had probably
partaken of some local talent somewhere along the way.
They sat quietly for a while, just holding onto one another
before Dean finally said, “Me neither.”
Brie, lost in her own thoughts, had momentarily forgotten
what they had been talking about, and asked, “Me neither, what, sweetie?”
“I haven’t seen anyone either,” he replied, giving her a
squeeze.
She sat up and looked at him with a surprised smile.
“Really? Why not?” she asked, without really meaning to. It
just popped out. She wasn’t sure she was prepared for his answer.
“I don’t know. I guess I just really didn’t feel like it.”
Just then, the doorbell rang.
“That’s the pizza,” she said, jumping up.
“Here,” Dean said, reaching into his back pocket for his
wallet.
“No, I’ve got it, sweetie. You sit.”
A couple minutes later, Dean heard Brie in the kitchen and
got up to give her a hand.
“You want to just eat in front of the TV and watch a movie?”
she asked.
“I’d follow you anywhere,” he said, with a smile and a peck
on the cheek.
“Yeah, OK,” she replied with a chuckle. “That’s the hunger
talking.”
But it wasn’t. He had become really attached to her. It
wasn’t that he didn’t feel like seeing anyone else, it was more that he only
wanted to see her. He had just been biding his time until there was a job near
enough that he could get there. This was one of the things that had been
weighing on him. That nearby job just never came.
Brie popped one of Dean’s favorite western movies into the
DVD player and they sat and ate their pizza. Dean had a couple more beers while
she sipped some iced tea. After they finished eating they just sat and watched
the movie. Dean with his arm around her, caressing her shoulder, and Brie
tucked in next to him, rubbing his chest. He was much quieter than usual, and
she was worried about what was going on in his head.
The movie ended, and Brie turned the TV off.
“You OK?” she asked him.
“Yeah, I’m fine,” Dean replied, not very convincingly.
“Uh huh. Wanna try that again?”
“I do have a couple things I want to talk to you about,
actually.”
“OK, shoot,” she replied.
“Not right now, babe. I’m really tired.”
“OK, well, why don’t you head to bed. I’m just going to
clean this stuff up and I’ll be there in a few minutes.”
Dean gave her a squeeze and a brief kiss and headed off to
the bedroom.
Brie wrapped up the leftover pizza and put the dishes in the
dishwasher. She stopped to brush her teeth and pee, then headed to bed.
Dean was already fast asleep, his jeans and flannel shirt in
a pile on the floor by the bed, and the overhead light still on. She was
surprised he had taken the time to get undressed. Many times, on nights like
this, she would find him laid out still fully clothed, boots and all. She
picked up his clothes and draped them over the chair adjacent to the bed, then
changed into a tee shirt and panties and slipped under the covers.
He felt her next to him and let out a faint grunt while
gathering her close. He wrapped an arm around her and she cuddled up to him.
Everything felt right again. She felt safe and peaceful, and suddenly it was
like he had been there all along. It was like he had never left.
A couple hours later Dean got up to pee. When he returned to
the bedroom he stood and watched Brie sleeping for a few moments before
stripping out of his remaining clothes and slipping back into bed beside her.
Brie didn’t know, because he had never told her, but she had
provided him with the stability he had needed over the years. It wasn’t much,
but it was just enough for him to get by with. On the darker days it gave him
something positive to think about. On the coldest days, the days when he felt
all hope slipping away and fear threatened to take over his mind, he would
think of her and it would reignite a faint flame in his heart and warm him
until he saw her again. Thoughts of her sustained him.
Dean woke Brie gently by cuddling up behind her and pulling
her close to him. He brushed the hair from the back of her neck and kissed her
gently. She whimpered softly and turned in his arms, brushing his cheek with
her hand and kissing him. Dean carefully removed her tee shirt and panties and
without a word he made love to her slowly and gently, and like he hadn’t a care
in the world. And for a time, he didn’t.
As they lay together, his arms around her, Brie finally
spoke.
“Dean, I don’t want to push you, but I wish you would talk to
me. I know something’s bothering you. You can tell me anything, you know,” she
said, rubbing his chest.
“I know, baby, I’m sorry,” Dean said. “It’s just, since I
was here last time, I’ve been on a bunch of hunts and a couple of them were
pretty rough. This last one… well, I wasn’t sure either of us were going to
make it out alive.”
“Is that how you got this?” she asked, reaching up and
brushing his forehead gently with her fingers.
“Yeah, that’s kind of why I’m here, actually. You know, I
wasn’t a couple hours away today. Well, I was when I texted you, but I drove
here from home. I wanted to see you, so I got in the car and drove east, and
when I got close enough, I texted you.”
“Wow, what made you do that? What made you drive all that
way just to see me?” she asked. “You’ve never done that before.”
The truth was, he had been desperate to see her. He had
taken an awful beating from a demon on their last hunt. So had Sam. It took
them days back at the bunker to even begin to recover physically. Dean felt emotionally
defeated. He wanted to call her, but he couldn’t bring himself to do it,
because he was afraid he would be too emotional when he heard her voice. If he
was going to be emotional, he wanted to be able to physically hold onto her for
support. He spent most of the time in his room alone. He would occasionally
take his phone out and stare at her name in his contacts, but he could not
bring himself to call. When he thought about how far away she was, and how it
seemed like he would never be able to get there, he was overwhelmed. Finally,
one night, he lay down to sleep and could not hold back the tears. At that
moment he decided he needed to just go.
“I just wanted to see you. I needed a little down time and I
wanted to be here with you,” Dean replied.
“Well, I’m glad you’re here. You’re welcome to stay as long
as you need to, you know that.”
“Thanks, babe,” Dean replied. He paused for a moment the
continued, “There’s more, unless you’d rather sleep now and talk in the
morning.”
“Well, now that I’ve got you talking, why don’t you keep
going. Tell me what’s going on in your head, sweetie,” she said, squeezing him
around the chest.
Dean lay there, trying to find the right words to even start
saying what he wanted to say. He was struggling, and Brie could see it clear as
day.
“Come on, Dean, it’s OK. No judgement here. You know
anything you tell me is just between us,” Brie said.
“OK, well, here it is… I’ve been thinking I might like to
tell Sam about us.”
“Oh?”
“Just oh? No other thoughts or feelings about that?” Dean
asked.
“Well, to be honest, I’m not sure what emotions to express
here. I mean, because…” she replied, her voice trailing off.
“Because?” Dean asks.
“Because, well, I do
have some thoughts about this, but I don’t really want to say anything that
might jeopardize the status quo we’ve got going here between us. I only get to
see you a few times a year, Dean, but at least I get to see you. I’ve been
content to take what I can get as far as spending time with you goes.”
This wasn’t one-hundred percent true. She wanted more. A lot
more, but she never felt like she should push her luck and take a chance that
he would never come back.
Brie continued, “I’ve gotten to know you pretty well over
the past five or so years and I know that talking about our feelings isn’t
really your thing.”
“Well, it is tonight. Please tell me what you’re thinking,”
he said in a whisper, kissing the top of her head.
“OK, well, it makes me happy that you want to tell Sam. Really
happy. It surprises me too. Five years, Dean, and you’ve never talked like
this. I don’t want to push you into talking about your feelings, but I know
something is weighing on you. I care about you a lot, Dean. I wish you were
comfortable confiding in me.”
She lay on his chest, tears silently rolling down her cheeks
because, in truth, she loved him, and she knew she couldn’t tell him.
Dean could feel her warm tears landing on his bare chest. He
squeezed her tighter and whispered, “Shh, don’t cry, baby. Everything’s gonna
be OK. We’re gonna be OK. I promise.”
She propped herself up on her elbow and leaned in for kiss.
Dean wrapped both arms around her and pulled her to his chest. She buried her
face in his neck, closing her eyes and stroking his cheek.
“I just don’t want to lose you, that’s all,” she said, in a
faint whisper.
“I don’t think there’s any chance of that happening,” Dean
replied, taking her face in his hands and kissing her passionately. “I haven’t
seen any other women lately because I’m always thinking about you.”
She laid her head back down on his chest and closed her
eyes.
They held each other in silence for a couple minutes before
Dean finally said, quietly, “I love you, you know.”
Brie put her hand over her mouth and began to sob. She had
waited five years to hear those words, yet she was still not prepared. She knew
Dean never said these words, not to anyone, and she had given up hope of
hearing them long ago.
“Shh,” Dean said as he rocked her in his arms, pressing his
lips to her head. “I’m sorry I never told you,” he whispered.
The truth was he had always loved her. He depended on her
for support, and the times he spent with her were some of the happiest of his
life. He just never told her. He knew this was something she had wanted to hear
for a very long time.
Finally, Brie collected herself and replied, “I love you
too, Dean.”
She kissed his chest, closed her eyes and they were soon
fast asleep once again, wrapped up in each other’s arms.
Chapter 4
In the morning, Brie awoke alone. Her heart sank as she
assumed Dean was gone. She buried her face in his pillow, inhaling his scent.
It was rare that he would stay for such a short time, or leave without saying
goodbye, but it had happened once or twice over the years. Still, it was
disappointing after what they had talked about the night before.
Just as she was about to let herself cry it out into his
pillow she heard footsteps coming up the hall toward the bedroom.
As Dean walked into the room, she said, “I thought maybe you
left.”
Dean sat on the side of the bed next to her and leaned in
for a kiss.
“You thought I would leave without saying goodbye after what
we talked about last night?”
“Well, I didn’t know. I just woke up and you we gone, so I
thought maybe—”
“Well, you thought wrong,” he said with a smile as he took
her hand and kissed it.
“I also thought maybe you would want to forget all about
what we said to each other last night,” she replied, squeezing his hand and
looking away from him.
Dean motioned for her to slide over so he could lie down
beside her. He wrapped an arm around her as she curled up next to him. He let
out a heavy sigh and said, “I’m still not very comfortable talking about my
feelings. You know, chick-flick and all that, but I don’t want to forget what
we said last night. No one ever taught me how to say that, you know, but I
still feel it.”
“I know, Dean. I know it’s complicated and uncomfortable for
you, and if you don’t want to say it, I get it, but is it OK if I say it?
Because I do, you know. I do love you, but I never said anything because I didn’t
want to scare you off.”
“You can say whatever you want to. You’re not going to scare
me off,” he said with a smile and kiss.
“Well, in that case, you should know, I’ve loved you since I
met you. OK, well, after I elbowed you in the face anyway,” she said, looking
up at him with a smile. “You put your hand on my back and asked me if I was OK,
and I haven’t been the same since.”
“I’m sorry I made you feel like you couldn’t tell me that,”
Dean said.
“Well, now we both know, and I’m really happy,” she replied.
“Me too, baby.”
“OK, good,” she said stretching for a brief kiss. “Listen,
you can stay in bed if you want. I’m going to start breakfast. Do you want
bacon or sausages with your pancakes?” Brie asked.
“Bacon, please.”
“You got it, give me about a half hour.”
Breakfast was almost ready when Dean appeared in the
kitchen. He wrapped his arms around Brie from behind and kissed her on the neck
before going to sit at the table.
Dean enjoyed the home cooked meal, while Brie enjoyed the
rare indulgence of the pancakes. Eating wise, Dean was a bad influence on her.
“Do you want to get out and do something today?” she asked.
“Like I said, I’ll follow you anywhere,” Dean replied with a
smile. “What do you have in mind?”
“Well, I’ve been wanting to check out the fall colors. We
could head over to the French King Bridge and hike the trails there. I was
going to go by myself this weekend anyway, but I know you spend a lot of time
in the woods, so maybe that’s not much fun for you though,” she said, adding a
chuckle.
“No, that sounds great, babe. Let’s do it,” he replied.
After breakfast, Brie took a shower while Dean sat in the
bathroom and listened to her tell him about her new position at work. She
laughed at how boring it must sound compared to his line of work. Then, while
Dean showered, he did likewise and told her about his jobs as she dried her
hair and applied her makeup. Over the years Dean had become much more
comfortable telling her about his hunts and what was out there. After all, they
met while he was hunting a werewolf, so monsters were not exactly a secret.
The French King
Bridge was a local historical landmark. The beautiful arch bridge was situated
high over the Connecticut River, and to really take it in, you needed to hike
one of the trails down to the clearing where there was a park at the river’s
edge. This time of year, with the leaves changing color, it was a very popular
spot for locals and tourists.
It was just a short
thirty-minute drive from the house to the bridge, and they were soon out
enjoying the crisp but sunny fall day. There were a lot of people
standing and taking photographs on the bridge, and they could see from there
that the park was also teaming with sightseers, but the trail itself was
relatively quiet.
As they walked the trail down to the river, Brie took Dean’s
hand, and said, “Can I ask you something serious?”
“Sure,” Dean replied.
“What made you finally decide to tell me that you love me?”
she asked, wrapping both her arms around his left arm, and looking up at him as
they walked.
“Wow, that is a
serious question,” Dean replied, laughing nervously.
“I warned you, but hey, you don’t have to answer it if you
don’t want to,” she replied, letting go of his arm.
Dean took her hand again, and led her a few steps off the
path, and sat down on a large rock. Brie sat beside him.
He pressed her hand to his lips, then said, “I’ve wanted to
tell you for a while. Almost dying recently kind of made it seem a little more
urgent. Then, driving here it seemed like every classic rock station was
playing nothing but power ballads. When they played Boston’s, Amanda, I finally
threw up my hands and said, ‘OK, I get it!’ I mean, how could I ignore a sign
like that?”
They looked at each other and smiled, as Brie replied, “I
love that song.”
“I know,” Dean replied. “Between the lyrics and the fact
that I know you love that song, I decided the universe was confirming what I
already knew. That it was time to come clean and finally tell you.”
They shared a soft kiss until they heard a few people
walking down the path near where they sat.
“Thanks for telling me that. It’s very sweet,” Brie said.
“OK, don’t spread that around,” he replied with a wink.
“OK, it stays between us,” she replied, with a laugh as they
started back down the path.
About ten minutes later they arrived in the park at the base
of the trail. They walked to the edge of the river and looked back up to the
bridge.
“Amazing,” Brie said.
“Wow, it really is. Look at that,” Dean said, stepping in
next to her, and wrapping an arm around her shoulder.
She turned to face him and glanced around with the thought
of stealing a kiss if no one was looking, when someone caught her eye.
“Oh, crap,” she said, as she stepped to the side, trying to
use Dean to block her from view.
“What?” Dean asked.
“It’s Tim. Come one, we need to go.”
“Your ex, Tim?” Dean asked.
“Yeah, come on,” she said, tugging at his arm.
“Brie, you dumped him before we even met, and it looks like
he’s with that blonde chick anyway. What’s going on?”
“Listen, there are things I never told you because I didn’t
want to bother you with it, and I didn’t want you to get mad. Let’s just go,
and I’ll tell you all about it in the car or something.”
“Brie…” he said, tilting his head at her, and sounding a
combination of angry and annoyed because she had obviously been keeping
something serious from him.
They tried to casually make their way back to the trail
unnoticed when they heard Tim call, “Brie?”
“Dammit,” Brie said, under her breath, dropping her head.
She turned around just as he was reaching them and said, “Hi, Tim,” very
unenthusiastically. “We were just heading out,” she added, hoping they could
still get away.
Tim ignored her attempt to cut him off and said, “You look
great. It’s been a while.”
“Yeah. Tim, this is Dean,” Brie said.
Tim extended his hand to Dean, but instead of shaking his
hand, Dean simply gave him a stone-faced nod, and wrapped an arm around Brie’s
shoulder.
“Oh, is this the guy who drives that crappy old black car?”
Tim asked.
“How do you—” Brie began, but Dean cut her off.
“First of all, watch it. Second, how do you know what my car
looks like?” Dean asked taking a step forward. He looked huge as he looked down
on Tim, who was only a couple inches shorter.
“I’ve seen it when I drove past the house. Listen, Brie—”
Tim began to say as he took a step toward her.
Dean put a hand out to block him, but did not touch him.
Tim swatted Dean’s hand away and took another step toward Brie,
reaching out to try and touch her.
Brie flinched and took a step back and tried
to put Dean between herself and Tim.
That was all it took. Dean grabbed Tim’s outstretched arm, turned
him around, and held his arm at a sharp angle against his back. It all happened
in a blink.
“What the hell are you doing driving past her house? She
lives on a dead-end street, asshole,” Dean growled in his ear. “You have no
business driving down that street, and if I hear about you doing it again, I
will find you, do you understand?”
Tim simply nodded his head. He couldn’t really speak and knew
he was one-hundred percent outmatched. As it happens, physical confrontation
wasn’t his thing unless he was trying to intimidate a woman.
“If I hear about you bothering her, talking to her, or even
looking at her, you will have to deal with me, you got that?” Dean said, still
growling, then letting go of his arm and giving him a bit of a shove.
“Yeah, I got it,” Tim replied, rubbing his elbow as he
walked away.
Dean was still seeing red when he turned back to Brie. She
looked panicked and was breathing heavy. She could feel her heart pounding.
Dean took her by the shoulders and asked, “Are you OK?”
“Yeah,” she replied in a whisper, nodding her head and
looking up at him with fear in her eyes.
He hadn’t seen her look like that since the werewolf.
“Come on,” he said, wrapping an arm around her and leading
her toward a picnic table across the park.
“No, I want to get out of here,” she said, tugging at his
arm.
“No, look, he’s going… see? We’re staying. Come on.”
Brie watched over her shoulder as Tim and his companion
headed up the path.
Dean took the backpack from her and sat her down at the
table, taking a seat beside her. He put his arm around her and she laid her
head on his chest. She could feel his heart pounding.
“Still my hero,” she said. “Are you OK?”
“Yeah, I’m good,” he said. It was a lie, of course. He was
pissed, and at that moment was still wishing he had pounded Tim into the
ground. “Do you want to tell me what the hell that was all about? I thought you
dumped that guy before we met?”
She had, actually, about a week before the werewolf. It was
one of the reasons she was out jogging that night. She always used running to
clear her head and she really needed it during that time.
She and Tim had dated for about six months when she began to
realize he was too possessive for her liking. It made her uncomfortable, and
she planned to break it off with him before it got any worse. Then, one night,
she was out for dinner and drinks with some friends from work when Tim showed
up wanting to take her home. She told him she was going to finish dinner, he
should go home, and she would call him later. It was then that he grabbed her
forcefully by the arm and started to pull her away from the table.
Brie fought him by hanging onto the table with her free hand
and literally digging in her heels. Her friends came to her defense and were
able to release her from Tim’s grasp. Brie and her friends convinced him that
he should leave, and luckily, he did. She called him that night and told him it
was over.
Brie had told Dean all this many years ago. She recalled her
entire relationship with Tim, and the incident in the restaurant to him on his
second visit. This was why Dean took him down fast, as soon as he looked like
he was going to put his hands on her.
“Listen, I never told you about the times I’ve run into him
since we split because I didn’t want to upset you,” she said.
“Brie,” he said, shaking his head, and sounding angry.
“I’m sorry, Dean. I just didn’t want you to kill him,” she
said, only half joking.
“Well, I still might. Let’s have some lunch, and I want you
to tell me everything. I mean it, Brie, everything.”
He was in full-on protection mode. She hadn’t seen him like
this since the werewolf. It was both comforting and scary.
She dug into her bag and pulled out their sandwiches and
bottled water, along with a bag of chips, and some cookies for Dean’s sweet
tooth. As they ate she told him everything. Every time she had run into Tim at
the store, the gas station, the local pub where she occasionally grabbed
cocktails with the girls. Come to think of it, she ran into him a lot.
“Do you think he’s stalking you? What does he say when he sees
you? Has he ever grabbed you since that time in the restaurant?” Dean asked,
peppering her with questions.
“Well, he grabbed my arm once at the grocery store as I was
trying to leave. I have no idea why he can’t move on. I mean, we only dated for
a few months. I don’t know if he’s stalking me. I never thought about it, but I
had no idea he was driving past the house. That’s a little weird.”
“It’s more than weird, Brie. He’s stalking you. Far be it
from me to want to get the cops involved with anything, but this guy worries me… a lot.” Dean said.
“Come on, what am I gonna tell the cops? I run into him
around town quite a bit? They’ll think I’m nuts. Listen, the police station is
less than a mile away, so if he comes to the house, they will get a call, trust
me.”
“Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I just worry about you,
that’s all.”
“I know you do, sweetie. You’re my hero. Five years ago,
today, and always,” she said, looking for a kiss. “And listen, I didn’t know he
was driving by the house, that’s true, but I never worried too much about him
because you taught me how to protect myself. I’ve got my gun, and I’ve got
knives stashed all over the place.” Brie said.
“True,” he replied with a smile.
They moved to one of the benches near the river bank and
just sat for a while and talked. Brie snuggled in close to Dean and he wrapped his
arm around her.
“I’m glad you made me stay. It’s a beautiful day, and I’m
glad you didn’t let that jerk ruin it,” she said.
A little while later they decided to make their way back up
the trail to the car, and head home.
In the car, Dean said, “I want you to tell me where Tim
lives and what kind of car he drives.”
“Dean, what are you going to do to him?”
“Nothing,” Dean said, with a laugh. “I just want to check
him out, you know, his background, and stuff like that. I want to see if he’s
really dangerous or just an ass.”
“OK, fine. He drives a Camry. 2016, I think. I’ll write his
address down for you when we get home.”
Back at the house Dean did his thing and researched Tim. He
did not like what he found.
“This guy is bad news, Brie,” Dean said.
“What do you mean? What did he do?” she replied.
“Looks like he got physical with another woman before you
guys started dating. Police report says he broke her nose, and she still has a
protection order against him.”
“Holy shit,” she said, as she looked over his shoulder at
the computer screen.
“Have you ever thought about moving?”
Brie just laughed.
“I’m serious. How am I supposed to leave you here now?”
“Sweetie, no, I love it here. I’d have to sell the house…”
she said.
“OK, well, think about moving… seriously. In the meanwhile,
you have a carry permit for your pistol, and I think you should start carrying it.
You’re ready. I’ll get you some pepper spray too. And, if he ever gets in this
house, hold your gun on him until the cops get here. If he makes a move toward
you… shoot him.”
“Dean…” she said, walking away, shaking her head.
Yes, she owned a gun and knew how to use it, but she always
thought if it came right down to it, she couldn’t shoot anyone.
He got up and walked to where she stood at the kitchen
counter, turned her to him and hugged her tight, saying, “Baby, if he gets in
this house it will be to hurt you. Make no mistake. It’s you or him if that
happens. You shoot him if you have to, do you hear me?” Dean said quietly.
“Yeah, I know. I hear you.”
“I want you to call me if you ever see him… anywhere. If you
see him drive by, or you think he’s following you, call me,” Dean said.
“OK, I will,” she said squeezing him tight then letting go.
“I need to get these hiking boots off. I’ll be right back.”
She headed to her bedroom, and when she didn’t return, Dean
went looking for her. He found her sitting on the far side of the bed, staring
out the bedroom window.
“Brie?” he said quietly.
“I’m scared,” she replied in a whisper.
Dean walked around the bed, sat beside her, took her hand
and kissed it.
“I’m sorry you’re scared, but you needed to know that so you
can be prepared. You’re gonna be fine.”
She buried her face in his chest as he wrapped both of his
arms around her.
“Remember the werewolf? How scared you were then? You felt
much better after just a couple days. It’ll be the same this time.”
“That was because of the great sex, though,” she said,
muffled into his chest, and they both burst out laughing.
“OK, well, if that’s the medicine for this disease, we’re in
good shape,” Dean replied still laughing.
“OK, good,” she replied.
“Glad you haven’t lost your sense of humor, baby,” he said,
kissing her forehead.
Chapter 5
The next morning, Brie was feeling much better. A little
tumble between the sheets, and a good night’s sleep in Dean’s strong arms always
helped, but he also had a way making her believe that everything would truly be
all right.
After breakfast, Brie sat across Dean’s lab at the table,
wrapped her arms around his neck, and asked, “What do you feel like doing
today?”
“You mean, besides you?” he replied, playfully biting her
neck.
“You’re such a perv,” she said.
“You love it.”
“Yeah, I do,” she replied, laughing.
“Seriously though, if it’s OK with you, I think I’d just
like to hang out here. Maybe watch some movies. Just chill,” Dean replied.
“Fine by me, sweetie. This your down time.”
After his shower, Dean was brushing his teeth when he called
down the hall to her, “Hey, your faucet has a pretty serious drip.”
“Yeah, I know. I really should call someone to fix it before
my water bill goes up,” she called back.
“I’ll fix it before I leave,” Dean replied as he walked into
the bedroom.
It took her a few seconds to respond as the word leave stuck in her head. The hardest
part of his periodic visits was the overwhelming sadness she felt after he
left. She had never told him that either.
“No, sweetie, I don’t want to put you to work while you’re
here. Plus, you just said you wanted to relax today.”
“All it’ll take is a trip to the hardware store and about 15
minutes with the sink. I’m doing it,” he said with a smile, while pulling her
into a warm embrace. “Maybe tomorrow.”
“OK, I know how stubborn you are, so I’ll just say, fine.”
Dean picked a movie from Brie’s large collection of DVDs and
they cuddled up together on the couch. It was an action flick this time. With
Dean it was usually action or westerns. They had both seen it, but what neither
of them remembered was the explicit love scene plunked down somewhere in the
middle of it.
The scene in front of them was having quite an effect on
Brie. She began slowly running her hand up and down Dean’s inner thigh, giving
it an occasional squeeze. She knew her ministrations were having the desired
effect by the way he was squirming. She knew she was achieving her goal.
She raised her hand and turned his head toward her and
kissed him passionately. In minutes they were both out of most of their clothes
and were making love at a feverish pace on the sofa.
After they dressed, Brie fell asleep curled up next to Dean,
her head resting on his thigh as he stroked her back. Dean pulled the blanket
off the back of the couch and covered her, then turned off the movie and closed
his eyes.
Brie woke about an hour later to the sound of Dean snoring,
his head tilted back and his mouth wide open. She got up and watched him for a
moment before leaning in to place a kiss on his jaw. He woke with a start.
“Are you hungry?” she asked. “It’s a little late for a big
lunch, but I can fix you a sandwich if you want.”
“Sounds great, babe, thanks.”
Later in the afternoon, as they were sitting on the sofa and
talking, Dean’s phone rang. It was Sam.
“Hey, Sammy. What’s up?” Dean asked.
He shot Brie a nervous smile as she took his hand, lacing
their fingers together and giving it a squeeze.
Dean hadn’t planned on broaching the subject over the phone,
but now he was wondering if this might be his opportunity to break the ice and
not have to actually see the look on Sam’s face.
Dean had told Sam he needed some time to clear his head
after hunting non-stop for weeks, and then getting their asses handed to them
the week prior. He said he was taking a ride to their dad’s storage locker in
upstate New York. Sam offered to go with him, but Dean said he would really
rather just go alone. The difference between driving to Buffalo and driving to
Brie’s was only a few hours, so he figured this was a good cover story. What
Dean hadn’t planned on was all the thinking he would do while on the road. It
was during the drive that he decided he wanted to tell Sam and put an end to
the stressful secret.
“Hey, did you get what you needed at the locker? Are you on
your way home?” Sam asked.
“Yeah, not exactly, Sam. Are you home?” Dean asked.
“Yeah, I’m home. What do you mean, not exactly? What’s going
on? Are you OK?” Sam asked, sounding worried.
“Everything’s fine, Sam. I’ll be home in a few days. I’ve
got something I need to talk to you about, but I didn’t really want to do that
over the phone.”
“Well, you’re scaring the crap out of me, Dean, so you
better tell me something or I’m going to trace this call and track you down,”
Sam replied.
“OK, OK, Sammy, take it easy,” Dean replied with a chuckle.
“I’m in western Massachusetts. I didn’t go to Buffalo to the locker. I—” Dean
started before Sam cut him off.
“What the hell are you doing in western Mass., Dean? Are you
on a job?” Sam said, now at a full yell.
Dean held the phone away from his ear and looked over at
Brie, who flashed him a very nervous
smile.
“Sam, just relax and let me talk and I’ll tell you everything.
Then, after that, if you want my twenty, I’ll tell you where I am, and you can
come see for yourself that I’m fine. OK?”
Sam could be heard taking a deep breath before he said in a
more level tone, “OK, go. Tell me what’s going on.”
“OK, I’ve been seeing a woman, and I’m at her place. We’ve—”
“A woman? What are you talking about? Did you test her?”
“Sam! You just said you would let me talk,” Dean said,
impatiently.
“I’m sorry. I’m sorry, go,” Sam replied.
“Do you remember that girl, Brie? We saved her from a
werewolf back about five and a half years ago in western Mass.?” Dean asked.
“Vaguely. I remember you disappearing for two days with her
after we saved her, though.”
“Yeah, well, I’m at her place. We’ve been seeing each other
since the werewolf. When I need a little down time, or when we’re in the area,
I come here and spend a day or two,” Dean said.
Sam was silent.
“And no, I didn’t test her, but I think she’s good,” Dean
said winking at her.
Still, Sam said nothing.
“OK, Sammy, it’s your turn to talk now.”
“I don’t really know what to say, Dean. I can’t believe you
managed to keep this from me all these years. We’re definitely going to have to
talk about you keeping this a secret, but for now, I guess I’m happy you’re
spending time with someone who you care about,” Sam said.
“Actually, she takes really good care of me, and, well…”
Dean paused.
“What, Dean?”
“Don’t get all girlie on me or anything, but… I love her,
actually,” Dean said, looking into her eyes.
Brie had no idea he planned to tell Sam that part of the
story, and she felt a little overwhelmed as the tears started to flow again. Dean
wrapped an arm around her and pulled her to his chest.
Dean hadn’t planned on saying it either, but he figured he
was in deep already, so why not go all the way and get it over with.
“Wow, OK, Dean. I can’t believe this. We have a lot of
talking to do. I’m kind of stunned here, but I’m happy for you. That’s really
great. How long are you planning on staying there?”
“Probably another day or two. I’ll call you when I leave.
Don’t go looking for any jobs until I get back. You can use a few more days off
too, Sam.”
“Yeah, OK, Dean, don’t worry,” Sam replied.
“OK, good. Call me if you need me,” Dean said before hanging
up.
“Are you OK? How’d he take it?” Brie asked him.
“Yeah, I’m good. He took it pretty well, but I think he
might be in shock and a little pissed. Secrets, you know,” he said, laughing.
The secret was a problem that he and Sam would have to dive
into when Dean returned home, but Sam was feeling truly happy, and even proud,
of his big brother. This was huge. Not only had he found a woman to spend time
with, but he loved her, and he
admitted it… out loud. He said the actual words. Sam was a little stunned by
it. He had known for years, that despite what Dean said, he wanted someone in
his life. He wanted a stable relationship. If that’s what this was, then he was
happy Dean had found it.
Dean felt like a huge weight had been lifted off his
shoulders. Two, in fact.
Not telling Sam had been weighing on him for quite a while.
Over the years, secrets had nearly destroyed them. Dean knew keeping this
relationship from Sam was a bad idea, but he desperately wanted something for
himself. They spent nearly every day together, all their lives, so neither of
them really had anything that was theirs and theirs alone. He wanted to be able
to see Brie without any criticism or judgement. As the years went on, the
secret began to eat away at him and he lived in fear of Sam finding out
somehow. If that happened, the results could have been devastating. He knew he
would have to face the music when he got back to the bunker, but at least this
way, Sam would have a few days to wrap his head around it first.
Not telling Brie how he really felt about her had been
bringing him down too. Dean was not one to discuss his feelings, but he did
have them. Over the years he spent as much time with her as was possible
because he really cared for her and he knew she cared for him. She put no
expectations on him, and in the beginning that was a real novelty. Later, he
found that when he was with another woman his thoughts were of Brie. He even
felt a little guilty, despite the fact that they were not committed to one
another. After some serious soul searching he realized this was because he
loved her. Still, over a year had passed since the realization and he was only
now telling her. Nearly dying… again, had made him see the urgency a little
more clearly.
“Can I tell you something chick-flicky?” Brie asked.
“You are the only one allowed to be chick-flicky with me,”
Dean replied, putting an arm around her.
“You’ve really surprised me… in so many ways. I’m proud of
you, and I love you, Dean.”
“Well, I’m not that good at saying it, but I do love you,
Brie. Even if I don’t say it, I hope you’ll never doubt it.”
“OK, I won’t,” she replied.
They shared a passionate kiss and Dean seemed to be rapidly
getting carried away as his hands roamed her body.
Brie pushed away gently, saying, “Easy, cowboy. I don’t want
you wearing yourself out before bedtime. I want to be nice and relaxed when I
close my eyes, if you know what I mean, so save it,” she said with a wink.
“Besides I need to get started making dinner. What’ll it be? I have steaks and
I have burgers.”
“Those New York strips I like?” Dean asked.
“Of course.”
“Sounds great, babe.”
While Brie cooked dinner, Dean flipped on the TV and
promptly fell asleep. Another thing he loved about being at her place was the
rest he got. There wasn’t anything for him to do there but relax.
The next thing he knew, she was gently waking him by running
her fingers through his hair and stroking his cheek.
“Dinner’s ready,” she said quietly, smiling down at him.
“Sorry, I guess I was tired,” he replied with a chuckle, as
he got up from the sofa.
“Don’t apologize, sweetie. I want you to relax here.”
Brie had grilled some beautiful steaks and served them with
oven roasted potatoes and a salad, which was really just for her.
After dinner Dean lit a fire in the fireplace and Brie
grabbed a couple of blankets. They tossed a bunch of pillows down and cuddled
up together in front of the fire, Dean with a beer and Brie with a glass of
wine.
Dean wrapped an arm around her as she snuggled up to his
chest.
Finally, Dean spoke quietly. “Brie, you know, if you want to see other people, you can.
It’s OK.”
He didn’t really mean it. It would break his heart, but at
the same time he wanted to make sure she was happy.
Brie couldn’t believe what she was hearing. What happened between this afternoon and
tonight that brought this on, she wondered.
Brie sat up, and with a look of disbelief said, “What… what
are you talking about? The other night… this afternoon… you said—”
“I know what I said,” Dean replied quietly. “I’m just
saying, if you want a chance to be happy, maybe you should—”
“No… no, you can’t do this. You can’t say what you said… you
can’t tell me you love me then turn around and try to get rid of me and
disguise it as doing what’s best for me. You can’t do that, Dean,” she said
angrily.
Brie got up and stormed out of the room, and Dean realized
he had obviously said the wrong thing. Actually, he said what he felt he needed
to say, but he probably could have phrased it better, to say the least. A few
minutes passed, and Dean knew he had to go find her and try to explain himself
and make things right.
She was feeling devastated, confused, and hurt. She had been
on an emotional roller coaster ever since Dean arrived, and this was the last straw.
She went from happy Dean was there, to elated at the revelation that he loved
her, to frightened of her ex, back to happy that Dean told Sam, and now she was
crash-landing on heartbroken.
Dean found her in bed. She was crying, and as he entered the
room she turned on her side, putting her back to him as she wiped her face with
her hands.
He lay down beside her and tugged on her arm. “Come here,”
he said.
She turned in place and he wrapped his arms around her, pulling
her in close as she buried her face in his chest and sobbed.
“I’m sorry,” he said quietly. “I guess I really said the
wrong thing. It’s just… You’re a very special woman, Brie, and I want you to be
happy.”
“I am happy, you jerk. What we have makes me happy, and if
this is all there is for us, I don’t care. You’re a good man, Dean, the best
I’ve even known, and you make me
happy. Why are you trying to push me away all of a sudden?” she said, still
crying.
“I’m not. I just needed to put that out there as an option
for you.”
She took a deep breath, trying to compose herself a little,
and said, “Dean, I haven’t dated any other men, not even casually, since I met
you.”
“You never told me that,” Dean said, sounding surprised.
“Well, you never asked. I don’t want anyone else, Dean.
Can’t you see that?”
“I’m sorry, Brie. Listen, if you want me to stick around,
that’s what I’m gonna do. I don’t really want anything to change, except maybe
seeing you more often. I told you I love you, and I meant it,” he replied,
kissing the top of her head.
“Well, I don’t want anything to change either, so can we not
talk about this anymore?” Brie asked.
“OK, fine,” Dean replied, taking her face in his hands and
kissing her.
They lay in bed holding onto one another for a few minutes
before she said, “I’m cold. Want to go back to the fire?”
“Yeah, come on,” he said, getting up and taking her hand.
They settled back in by the fireplace and Brie was still
feeling a little shaken about what they had just talked about.
Dean could tell she was still preoccupied by what he had
said. He knew he had to find a way to make it up to her.
After a few minutes he asked, “So, do you want to go out on
a date with me tomorrow night?”
This was rare. They had gone out to dinner twice in all the
years Dean had been visiting, and that was only because he popped in on her and
there was no food in the house.
“Really?” she asked with a broad, excited smile.
“Yeah, a nice dinner maybe? I have my suit in the car.”
“So, you’re staying a while longer?”
“Yeah, now that Sam knows, I don’t have to rush back to make
my cover story work.”
“I’d love to go on a date with you,” she replied, wrapping
her arms around his neck and kissing him.
Dean had said just the right thing to turn her mood around
and she was already beginning to believe that everything would be all right.
Brie ran her hands up under his tee shirt and Dean quickly
stripped it off over his head.
“You want to head to the bedroom?” Dean whispered as he
kissed her neck.
“No… here,” Brie replied.
There was never any shortage of sex when Dean visited, and
neither of them had a problem with that. Dean had been her only partner since she
met him. She didn’t want anyone else, even if there was no future promised.
Dean had not seen another woman in quite some time either. Back in the dark
corners of his mind, he really only wanted her, even if it took him years to
realize it.
They made love in front of the fire then, as they cuddled
together, Brie found the nerve to ask the question she had wanted to ask for
years.
“Dean… am I your girlfriend?” she asked in the tiniest
voice.
“Yeah, baby, you’re my girlfriend. Am I your boyfriend?”
“Yeah,” she whispered.
They fell asleep wrapped in one another’s arms, then around
2 a.m. Brie heard Dean moving around in the kitchen. She pulled on some clothes
and found him taking the banana cream pie out the fridge.
She hugged him from behind as he said, “Thank you for always
buying me pie. That bakery downtown is amazing.”
“You’re welcome, sweetie. I just want you to be happy,” she
replied.
“Well, I am,” he replied. “Want a piece?”
“Yeah, a small one.”
They enjoyed their pie, then Dean made sure the fireplace
was secured, and they headed to bed.
Chapter 6
The following morning, Monday, Brie let her boss know she
would be out for a few days. She always took spur of the moment vacation time
when Dean visited.
In the afternoon, Brie was in the basement starting a load
of Dean’s clothes in the washer. As she ascended the steps to the kitchen Dean
called to her, “Hey, have you been keeping up with your shooting?”
“Of course,” she replied as she walked into the kitchen.
“Every month, just like you told me to. I’ve got the targets in my office. Want
to see them?” she asked excitedly.
“Yeah, let me see them, and bring me your pistol too. I want
to clean it for you,” Dean said. “And that bowie I know you keep under your
pillow. Bring me that too. It’s dull,” he said with a wink.
Dean had taught her very well how to protect herself. He
taught her gun safety and she was a member of the local gun club where she used
the shooting range every month for target practice. She carried a folding
pocket knife just like his in her purse, and had other knives stashed around
the house, including the silver knife he gave her when they met, and a very
large bowie she kept sheathed under her pillow. She hadn’t told him it was
there, but he didn’t miss a trick.
She brought him the requested items and he sat at the
kitchen table to do his work. Looking at the targets, he said, “Hey, these are
awesome,” as he noted all the bull’s-eyes.
Dean cleaned her pistol and sharpened her knife, then
announced he was heading to the hardware store to get the parts he needed to
fix the leaky faucet in the bathroom. The nearest place for Dean to pick up the
parts he needed was about fifteen minutes away, so at least she knew this
little endeavor to fix the sink wouldn’t take up too much of his time.
As Dean left for the store, Brie locked her pistol back up
and put it on the shelf in her office closet, then crossed the hall to her
bedroom. She wanted to get the bed sheets in the washing machine and get fresh
ones on the bed.
As she tossed the pillows and blankets on the chair, she
thought she heard something odd. Did I
just hear that, or am I imagining things? She thought. A split second
later, she was sure. She was hearing glass breaking in the kitchen.
Brie darted across the hall to her office. Out of the corner
of her eye she saw the figure of a man in her kitchen, but did not stop to take
a closer look. Dean always told her to stay focused. She grabbed the lock box
containing her pistol, and the key from her desk drawer. She was shaking
uncontrollably, but managed to get the gun free of the box. She loaded the
magazine, chambered a round, and removed the safety, as she moved to the office
doorway.
She had made a considerable amount of noise retrieving her
gun, so she was sure whoever, or whatever, this was knew she was in there. She
heard footsteps slowly coming up the hall toward her as she tried to calm
herself with a few deep breaths, again, just like Dean had taught her.
She quickly stepped out into the hallway, gun drawn.
It was Tim, and he was just inches away from her now.
He grabbed her upper arm forcefully, but Brie reacted
quickly kneeing him in the groin. Dean’s words, “if he gets in the house, it will be to hurt you,” echoed in her
head.
Tim stumbled back down the hallway, but quickly regained
himself and began to advance on her again, although he was doubled over in
pain.
“Get down on the floor!” Brie yelled.
“Woah, woah, woah. Brie, I just want to talk to you,” he
said.
“Get down, now!” Brie repeated.
He was holding his hands up, but he was still slowly moving
toward her. She was in a panic, but she could hear Dean in her head.
Dean had spent a lot of time teaching her how to defend
herself. He couldn’t be there often, and he always worried about her living on
her own. She took a deep breath and tried to allow the training to take over.
Tim was still advancing on her, and she literally had her
back against the wall. She fired a warning shot into the ceiling, just as Dean
had told her to do. Tim hit the floor as the plaster from the ceiling fell around
him.
“OK, OK, don’t shoot! Jesus Christ!” he yelled.
“Put your hands behind your head and lace your fingers!”
Brie said, still yelling.
Tim complied.
“Cross your legs at your ankles!”
Again, Tim did not hesitate to follow her command.
Her phone was on the kitchen table. Since she knew Dean
would be back soon, she decided to hold Tim there until he got back. She
couldn’t take a chance that he would get up or try to grab her. She would have
to literally step over him in order to get to the kitchen.
After a couple of minutes, Tim asked, “How long are you
going to leave me like this?”
“Not long. Dean will be back in a few minutes,” she replied
in a controlled and even tone.
“Who is that guy?” Tim asked.
Brie did not answer. She knew he was trying to engage her in
conversation to distract her and get her to let her guard down.
“Brie, I just—”
“Shut your mouth. Do not talk,” Brie replied forcefully,
cutting him off.
Tim was silent and remained still. Finally, about twenty
minutes after Tim had broken into the house, Brie heard Baby pull into the
driveway.
As Dean approached the back door, he found it ajar, glass
everywhere.
“Brie!” he yelled in a panic.
“I’m here. I’m OK,” she yelled back.
He rounded the corner, gun drawn.
“Get your handcuffs,” Brie said, without taking her eyes off
Tim. “I have him.” Her voice was calm and level.
Dean ran back to the car and grabbed his cuffs as well as
his fake FBI credentials, and was back in just seconds.
Back in the hallway, Dean kneeled on Tim’s back and cuffed
him, roughly. “I thought I told you stay away from her,” he growled.
Dean sat Tim up against the wall. He was seeing red. What he
really wanted to do was snap his neck, but he knew he couldn’t lay a hand on
him. Dean wanted to be sure everything was very clear cut for the cops. As a
repeat offender, Tim was likely to do jail time this time around.
“Are you OK?” Dean asked Brie.
“Yeah, I’m good,” she said, coldly, still no taking her eyes
off Tim.
“OK, I have him. Why don’t you go and call the cops,” Dean
said.
A moment later, Dean heard Brie on the phone.
“You have just made the biggest mistake of your life, pal,”
Dean said.
Tim did not reply, or even look up.
Brie’s house was just one street away from the police
station, so within minutes the cops were there. In fact, it looked like every cop was there. It was a small
town. Only six police officers were employed there, and four of them were soon
entering the house through the open back door.
Two officers removed Tim from the house, placing him in
their car, and taking him to the police station. The other two officers stayed
with Brie and Dean to get their statements. They also called in a crime scene expert
to gather evidence, like finger prints, and take pictures.
Massachusetts has strict gun laws, but he officers were
quick to reassure Brie that her actions appeared to be perfectly lawful. They
just needed to see where and how she stored her weapon, and they needed to see
her permit. They watched her clear the pistol and secure it again in its lock
box, and they were satisfied. Another thing they were, was impressed. She was
calm and collected. Dean knew this look, however. She was in shock and would
let it all out later.
The police took their statements, Brie’s account first, then
Dean’s. They sat on the loveseat, Brie holding Dean’s left hand with both of
hers, while the two officers sat opposite them on the sofa.
Dean wanted to avoid having to break out his fake FBI
identification, so he had put away his pistol before the cops arrived. If
questions arose that required him to play the G-Man, he was ready, but thought
it would be better in the long run if it didn’t come up.
Brie told the cops exactly what had happened, every detail
intact. There was no need to add anything or embellish. It was all pretty cut
and dried, and the fact that Brie was a law-abiding citizen with not so much as
a speeding ticket, while Tim had a history of assault, certainly made it seem
like this would be an open and shut case.
Upon hearing that Tim had grabbed her with a good amount of
force, the cops asked to take a look at Brie’s arm. She rolled up her sleeve to
expose the skin that had already begun to bruise. The crime scene investigator
took photographs, and the lead officer told her Tim would not only be charged
with breaking and entering, but also assault. Without a doubt, Tim would be
going to jail.
Brie would be granted a temporary protection order
automatically, but would have to go to court to get something more permanent.
The police advised her it would simply be a formality. The police report and
their testimony would be enough to ensure Tim could not go near her for a very
long time.
There were statements to sign, along with other paperwork
related to the protection order, and a contractor who worked with the police
department was on his way to board up the window Tim had broken in the kitchen
door. The officers gave their business cards to Brie and Dean and prepared to
leave.
The officers shook Brie’s hand, and one of them said, “I’m
sorry this happened to you, Miss, but you did just what you should have done.”
Brie thanked him, quietly, as he shook Dean’s hand and said,
“You should be proud of her, man.”
“I am,” Dean replied, smiling down at her.
The contractor arrived, just as the police left. He cleaned
up the glass, boarded up the window, and was gone within thirty minutes.
Once everyone had gone, Dean pulled Brie to his chest and
held her tight. He said nothing. He was scared for her, and was afraid if he
opened his mouth to speak he would lose it and all his emotions would come pouring
out.
Brie pulled away, and said, quietly, “I need to finish the
laundry,” and walked back down the hallway.
Dean fought the desire to grab her and sit her down to make
her talk this through, but he knew she was in shock and would let it all out in
time.
“OK, I’m just going to step outside and call Sam,” Dean
said, as she disappeared into the bedroom.
Dean sat down on the steps leading from the back door and
dialed Sam’s number. He didn’t want to leave Brie alone for too long, but
briefly gave Sam a rundown of what had happened. What he needed Sam to know
most was he would be at least a few more days. He had no plans to leave until
he was sure Brie was OK.
“Wow, Dean, that’s crazy,” Sam replied. “He didn’t hurt her,
did he?”
“Well, he bruised her arm, but other than that she’s fine,
physically, but she’s still in shock, I think,” Dean replied.
“OK, well, stay with her as long as you need to, Dean, and
just give me a call when you’re on your way home,” Sam said.
“OK, Sammy, talk to you later,” Dean replied.
Back in the kitchen, Dean grabbed a beer from the
refrigerator and took a long sip.
After a moment, he heard Brie calling out to him from the
basement, quietly at first then progressively louder and with a more
panic-stricken tone, “Dean? Dean… Dean!”
Dean flew down the basement steps to find her sitting on the
floor in the corner. She was in the same tight ball she had sat in at the
kitchen table following the werewolf all those years ago.
“OK,” he said, crouching down next to her, and completely
enveloping her in a tight embrace.
As soon as Dean wrapped his arms around her, she began to shake
and cry. He scooped her up and carried her up the stairs. All he could think
about was how badly he wanted to kill Tim for hurting her like this.
Even Dean didn’t think Tim would be so bold as to actually
break into the house like that. He was beyond relieved that Brie was all right,
and was enormously proud of the way she’d handled herself. Tim had no idea what
he was in for when he entered that house, and all Dean could hope for was that
when he eventually got out of jail, Brie’s actions, along with the protection
order, would discourage him from trying anything again.
Dean set her down gently on the couch, sat beside her, and
wrapped both arms around her.
“I was so scared,” she sobbed into his chest.
“I know, baby, but you did great. You got him,” Dean
replied, rocking her in his arms. “I’m so proud of you, Brie,” he said, kissing
the top of her head.
She continued to cry as Dean said, “Now I know you can
handle anything. He was going to hurt you, Brie, and you took him down before
he could do that. You’re going to be OK.”
Brie fought to catch her breath, then said, “Thank you for
teaching me how to do that, Dean, I love you.”
“I love you, too, baby,” Dean replied, taking her face in
his hands and kissing her gently.
She reached up, wrapped her arms around his neck, then
crawled up in his lap.
“Hold me tighter,” she whispered into his neck.
After a few minutes, Dean felt her relaxing in his arms. She
was asleep. Exhausted from the stress of everything that had happened.
He carried her to the bedroom and put her to bed, just as he
had done after the werewolf. The bed was only half made, since Brie was
interrupted by the break-in while stripping it. Dean replaced the pillows,
lifting her head and placing one under her, then grabbed the blankets and
covered her.
Brie woke with a start, “Dean?” she said, with panic in her
voice.
“Right here, baby,” he said, taking her hand.
“Please don’t leave.”
“I’m not going anywhere. Just close your eyes. I’m right
here,” he said as he moved the chair to the bedside, and took her hand again.
She fell asleep quickly as Dean watched her, his own mind
racing. The realization that Tim could have beaten her, or even killed her, was
setting in. He felt an ache in his chest as the tears streamed down his face.
Not only did he love her, but he knew now, he needed her, and the thought of
living without her was extremely painful.
About an hour after drifting off to sleep, Brie woke. Dean
was still there, as he had promised, holding her hand.
He smiled at her, squeezed her hand, and said, “Hey,
beautiful. How are you feeling?”
“Better, I think,” she said, pushing herself up, and sitting
against the headboard.
Dean sat on the edge of the bed beside her and took her hand
again. He held it to his lips, closing his eyes, and whispered, “I’m so glad
you didn’t let him hurt you, baby.”
She reached out and caressed his cheek with her hand,
realizing it was her turn to soothe his worries.
“I don’t know what I would have done if he hurt you,” Dean
said.
“I’m OK, sweetie. I think I’m going to be OK. Do you think
you can stay for another day or two though?”
“Yeah, I told Sam I was staying for a while longer. Plus, I
still need to fix your sink and take you out on a date, right?” he said with a
smile and a wink.
“I don’t care about the sink, but a date sounds nice. Just
not tonight, OK?”
“No, not tonight. Let’s see how you feel tomorrow, baby. Tonight,
I’m going to make you dinner, and you’re just going to relax, OK?”
“Yeah, OK. I do need to finish the laundry, though, and I
think I’d like to take a hot bath,” Brie replied.
“I’ll do the laundry. I just want you to relax. You did
something amazing today, you know? Something not many people could do. It was
incredibly brave, but it was also incredibly stressful. So, you’re going to
take a bath and relax, and I’m going to do everything else, understand?” Dean
said lovingly, kissing her hand.
“Thank you,” she said quietly as she leaned forward and
reached for him. They wrapped their arms around one another and she whispered,
“Can I have a kiss, please?”
Dean pulled away slightly and smiled at her, taking her face
in his hands, he leaned in and kissed her gently before resting his forehead
against hers. “Thank God, he didn’t hurt you,” he whispered. “I love you,
Brie.”
“I love you, too, sweetie,” she replied.
“Ready for that bath?” he asked her.
“Yeah,” she replied.
“Good. Now, tell me what laundry needs doing, and I’ll do
that while you’re in there.”
Brie explained that his clothes just needed to go in the
dryer, and their bedsheets needed to go in the washer. Then the bed would need
to be made with fresh sheets from the hall closet.
“Easy enough,” replied Dean.
Brie got undressed and slipped into her robe, then set out
to draw a hot bubble bath for herself.
Dean moved the laundry around, then made the bed, as
promised. He lit a fire in the fireplace, then poured a glass of wine for Brie
and delivered it to her in the bathtub.
“Ooh, thank you, sweetie,” she said, taking the glass from
him.
“What do you want for dinner?” Dean asked.
“I was thinking comfort food, to be honest. How do you feel
about spaghetti and meatballs? It’s pretty simple, if you still have you mind
set on making dinner. I’ve got meatballs in the freezer and sauce in the
cabinet,” Brie said.
“I’m all over it,” Dean replied, leaning over the tub and
kissing her before leaving the bathroom.
Dean got started on dinner, then returned to the bathroom a
short time later to fill Brie’s wine glass.
“Are you trying to get me drunk, Dean Winchester?” she
asked, smiling up at him.
“Yeah, I think I am,” he replied with a wink.
He could tell she was feeling much better. Over the years,
he had come to realize how incredibly resilient she was. She amazed him in so
many ways. That day’s events being only the latest example of how amazing she
was.
Dean prepared a delicious dinner for them. Even throwing
together a nice salad for Brie. In all the excitement, they had missed lunch,
so the comforting meal was just what they needed, both to fill their bellies
and soothe their souls.
Dean insisted on cleaning up after dinner, while Brie curled
up on the couch by the fire with another glass of wine.
Dean soon joined her. He lay down on the couch facing her,
wrapping both his arms and legs around her and pulling her tight to his body as
she giggled.
He kissed her softly and asked, “How are you feeling?”
“Better now. How do you always manage to make me feel
better?”
“I don’t do anything, baby. It’s all there inside you,” Dean
replied, giving her a squeeze and kissing her forehead. “You’re an incredibly
strong woman, Brie. You’re amazing.”
“I don’t know about that, but, thank you, sweetie.
Everything you’ve taught me over the years really paid off today, you know.
When it was all happening, I could hear your voice in my head. You calmed me,
somehow.”
“Good, I’m glad. I’ve always wanted you to be able to
protect yourself, but I never actually thought you would have to. I’m so glad
you didn’t let him hurt you,” Dean said, getting a bit choked up.
They fell asleep on the couch, all wrapped up in each
other’s arms. They woke a few hours later and headed to bed, where they both
slept as if they had been awake for days.
Chapter 7
The following afternoon, Brie pulled out her tool box and
Dean got to work on the sink. Sure enough, he had the washers changed out and
the drip fixed in a few minutes.
“You’re all set,” he said.
“Wow, thanks,” she replied.
“I like taking care of you, babe.”
“I know you do, and you do a great job, sweetie,” she said,
standing on her toes, and looking for a kiss.
“I love it when you call me that,” he said, kissing her
softly.
“I know,” she replied, patting him on the ass.
“Listen, come sit down, I need to talk to you about a couple
things,” Dean said, taking her by the hand and leading her to the kitchen
table.
“What’s the matter?” she asked, as she sat.
“Nothing’s the matter, but listen… You need to call someone
to replace this door. I don’t want you to just replace the glass. You can see
how easy it is for someone to get in once the glass is broken, so you need to
get a solid door, OK?”
“Yeah, OK,” she replied.
“Good, and I really want to you to seriously consider moving
away from here. You’ll need to be around for Tim’s trial, but after he goes
away, I think you need to move,” Dean said.
“OK,” she replied.
“OK? So, you would consider moving?” Dean said, surprised.
“Yeah, I don’t want to be here anymore… you know… in this
house. My company has offices all over, including one in Kansas City. All I
need to do is sell the house and ask to be transferred.”
“Wow, OK, I thought you were really going to fight me on
that,” Dean said, sitting back in his chair and smiling.
“Nope. When you’re right, you’re right. I need to get far
away from him.”
“So, Kansas City, huh? You must really like me,” he said,
leaning in for a kiss.
“Well, now that I’m your girlfriend, I guess I can admit
that, yeah,” she replied, shifting into his lap and sucking a bruise into his
neck.
“Still want to go out to dinner later?” he asked.
“Yeah, definitely. Wanna take a nap with me first?” she
asked, getting to her feet and pulling Dean by the hand.
“Lead the way, beautiful,” Dean replied.
After their nap, they both showered and got ready for their
dinner date. Dean wore his navy-blue suit, and Brie dressed in a snug fitting
cranberry colored dress with black heels.
“Wow, you look amazing,” Dean said as she walked into the
kitchen and handed him her necklace.
“Thanks, sweetie. Can you help me with this?” she asked
turning her back to him and lifting her hair out of the way.
He kissed her bare neck then closed the clasp of the
delicate necklace.
She turned and kissed him, saying, “And you look very
handsome.”
They headed to the fanciest place in the area. A beautiful,
upscale Italian restaurant. Brie had the chicken piccata and Dean the chicken
parm. It was a real date. They sat close to one another around the small table.
They held hands, and Dean stole a few kisses as he stroked her leg under the
table. They talked and laughed and just enjoyed one another’s company. Seeing
Dean smile as he looked into her eyes melted her heart and had the most
relaxing effect on her.
After dinner, as Dean drove them home, Brie slid over next
to him. He wrapped his arm around her and she rested her head against him. Dean
pulled over into a wooded area by the side of the road and turned the car off.
“What are we doing?” Brie asked.
“Well, since this is a real date, I thought we could park
and make out,” Dean replied.
Brie threw her head back and let out a huge laugh but didn’t
object. She kicked off her heels and curled her legs up behind her on the front
seat. They made out like teenagers, but stopped before it went too far,
thinking they really didn’t want to
get caught if a cop happened by.
Back at the house, they barely made it to the bedroom. Dean
left a trail of his clothes leading from the kitchen, stripping as he walked,
and grabbing at Brie’s dress as she screamed with laughter.
These were the moments that sustained her between visits.
Not the sex, necessarily, but the unabashed happiness. The pure joy. The
moments she could bring to memory and smile over.
Later, as they lay together, spent, but content, Dean said
quietly, “I think I need to take off tomorrow afternoon, as long as you’re sure
you’re OK. It’s time to get back to work.”
Brie resisted the urge to cry. She always tried to save that
for after he was gone.
“I wish you could stay longer. Actually, I wish you could
stay forever, but yeah, I’m OK, if you need to go,” she said.
“I wish I could stay longer too, babe, but trust me, you’d
get tired of me in a hurry.”
“Well, we disagree on that, I guess,” she said, as she
rubbed his chest.
After a few minutes, when she was sure he was asleep, she
whispered, “I love you,” as tears welled up in her eyes.
Dean squeezed her tighter and replied in a whisper, “I love
you, too.”
She couldn’t remember ever being happier but knew in the
back of her mind it would all come crashing down tomorrow afternoon when he
drove away.
Chapter 8
The following day, Brie fixed them a big lunch that would
hold Dean over for a while as he traveled, and then she made him three
sandwiches to take with him. She packed the sandwiches in the cooler with
several bottles of water and filled a separate bag with potato chips and
chocolate chip cookies. She also sent him off with the rest of the beer. Dean
loaded the car as Brie began to clean up the kitchen.
She was quiet. She didn’t want to be. She didn’t want Dean
to feel bad about having to leave, but she was having a very hard time feigning
happiness and acting like her usual easygoing self.
Over the years, each time Dean left her, she would lie in
her bed and cry, and follow that up with pining for him for days. Then he would
call, and talking to him would sort of reset her feelings, and she would begin
looking forward to his next visit.
She could usually fake her way through their goodbyes, but
this time was different. He loved her, and now he knew she loved him. It was
real. With every fiber, she did not want him to leave, but she knew he couldn’t
stay. Domestic life was never in the cards for them. She knew it from the
start, but she wanted it now more than ever.
“You didn’t have to do all that,” Dean said, pulling her
into a warm embrace.
“Well, I wanted to. You know taking care of you makes me
happy,” she said.
“You don’t look happy.”
“I know. I’m sorry. I’m trying, it’s just…”
“It’s just what?”
“No, never mind. I’m fine,” she replied, shaking her head as
if to clear it and plastering on a big smile.
“No, no, no, come here,” Dean said pulling her by the hand
into the living room.
Dean sat on the couch and pulled her in so she was sitting
across his lap.
“Tell me what you were going to say,” he said.
“I don’t want you to feel bad,” she replied looking down at
her lap.
“Don’t worry about me, come on.”
“I’m having a hard time acting happy because you’re leaving
soon, and I’m going to miss you like crazy. Who knows when you’ll be back? But
I don’t want the last few minutes of your visit to be spent listening to me
whine. I don’t want that. And…”
“And?”
“And I love you, Dean,” she said quietly, still not looking
at him.
Dean lifted her chin and kissed her gently before resting
his forehead against hers.
“I love you, too,” he said in a whisper.
She wrapped her arms around him and hugged him tight as he
said, “Don’t tell anybody I said that.”
Brie burst out laughing and began peppering his face with
kisses. He always knew exactly what to say to make her laugh.
“I’m just kidding,” he said with a wide smile.
“Do you have to leave really soon?” she asked.
“I’m not on a schedule. Why?”
She leaned in to kiss him on the neck and whispered, “Can I
convince you to make love to me one more time before you go?”
With that, Dean scooped her up in his arms and carried her
off to the bedroom.
“I guess that’s a yes,” she said, giggling as he carried
her.
They cuddled for a few minutes after, before Dean got up and
got dressed. Brie sat up against the headboard, and Dean sat on the edge of the
bed, turned to face her and took both her hands.
“You know I can’t say when I’ll be back, like usual, but I
want you to know, I think about you all the time, and I want to be here more than I want to be anywhere in the world,” he
said.
Brie sat quietly, looking down at their hands as tears
streamed down her face.
“Please don’t cry, baby,” Dean said, wiping her tears away.
“I always cry when you leave,” she whispered.
“Everything’s gonna be OK,” he said pulling her into his
arms. “It’s hard for me to leave, too, you know. I know you don’t usually call
me, but I want you to.”
“Really?” she asked into his neck.
“Yeah, I want you to call me any time you feel like it, and I’m
going to call you as often as I can. I mean, now that you’re officially my
girlfriend.”
This elicited a smile and a bit of a chuckle from Brie.
“Five and a half years and I’m finally your girlfriend,” she
said.
Dean pulled away slightly and looked into her eyes.
“I don’t like to rush things,” he said, and they both
laughed. “So, now that this isn’t a secret, would you want to come and stay at
my place sometime?” Dean asked.
“You just tell me when and I’ll book a flight.”
“Good,” he replied, kissing her hand and then standing up.
“OK, I’m gonna hit the road, baby.”
“OK,” she replied brushing away the blankets and kneeling on
the edge of the bed, her arms outstretched. “Give me a kiss that will get me
through until I see you again.”
And he did. They kissed passionately before he hugged her
tight, kissed her neck, and whispered, “I love you, Brie.”
Then he pulled away, turned, and headed for the door. He had
to do it fast or he would have stayed all night.
“I love you, Dean,” she replied just as he turned the corner
up the hallway.
A couple of minutes later she heard Baby roar to life, and
then they were gone.
I love it!! I love how much it has changed since I first read it, how it has grown to be so much more. You did a great job. <3
ReplyDelete